Friday, December 28, 2007

Always knew I was not a "city" chic

Today we went to NYC to see the tree, American Girl Store, Toys R Us, and FAO Schwarz. Well, let me say...what a disaster! We should have known when the traffic into the tunnel was crazy. So we finally get to a parking garage and I think we got one of the last spots. Trying to bundle the girls up was not that much fun when you are trying to gather your belongings as fast as you can to let the attendants take your car. Anyhow, we make it out to the tree waiting to find my parents who were also searching for a parking spot. We saw the tree and the ice rink from afar. There was close to a million people waiting to skate. They must all be on crack!! Ok, so we know that the tree is a major attraction, if we walk away from that madness we will be ok! WRONG! There was a line that wrapped around a city block to get into the American Girl store. If I was alone I would never have waited, but Madison really wanted to go there. So we waited and as soon as we got to the front of the line we found my parents. We made a mad dash to Bitty Baby, made our purchase and got the hell out of there. I could not believe what I was seeing. Then we got stuck in a mob scene of another million people (half of them where looking at Saks windows and the other trying to take pics of the tree.) I was so frustrated I wanted to go home after being there for 30 minutes. We decided to walk to FAO... and again another huge line to get in. I wanted Maddie to see it, but we were not buying anything so I said forget it. We will go back another time when it is warmed. I could not believe what I was seeing. This only confirmed that I will NEVER go to the city for New Years or a parade. I can not take the crowds. We will take Maddie back in the spring with out Savannah so we can ditch the stroller. Then to top it all off we left during rush hour and we had two hungry kids that wanted nothing to do with non-moving traffic. The ride home was long and not so much fun. Lets just say that today was not what I was expecting. (I did not even take one picture) :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No biting comments about no pics of this one. The thought of that day makes me ill and no one needs pictures of that scene. You all need a medal for doing that at this time of year. Madison is very lucky to have such patient parents, we never would have waiting on any lines for anything.

On the other hand, I would like to see a picture of the purchase at American Girl.

my rebel took over said...

Oh, Nikki...I'll admit, when you said you were going to the city this weekend I thought...You are one brave woman! I'm sorry it was so frustrating. I know I'm definitely not ready to take the girls to the city. We're thinking maybe we'll see the Christmas show next year. Interested? (LOL)

Anonymous said...

oh yes. We are taking Gabriel to the Christmas show next year. We should all go. We'll meet you there though, we will be taking the train. We went two years ago and it was great. I think there is a slight possibility that Gabriel will be able to sit still when he is 2 1/2 years old. We're hoping anyway.