Thursday, March 20, 2008

GOD DAMN JELLY BEANS....

And I say it that way because I mean it. Just a few minutes ago I had to dig deep into my long term memory and kick into a mode I hoped I never had to do! Maddie choked for the first time for REAL!!! She put a jelly bean in her mouth and layed down!! I saw her jump up and freak out! I did the swipe thing and then she started to breath. I did not swipe it out but I think I pushed it down. But she was breathing and crying and coughing and the tears began to flow... so I thought we were ok. I let her sit for a few seconds and then I offered her a drink to help her get it down. She looked like it was still bothering her. She began to shake like you do after a good puke. She tryed to sip a drink and could not swallow it. I began to panic and just as I almost went for the hymlic (sp?) she puked all over the place! She was more upset that she puked on her dress-up clothes and on the floor (and the dog was beginning to clean it up). She was crying and then I began to cry in relief. I have had to do the hymlic one other time when I was much younger on my little sister, but that did not seem to bother me as much as when it is your own. All I can say is, it will be a long time before I can trust her with a jelly bean again.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow, I know where you are. Gabriel choked once and I had to improvise a Heimlich maneuver. He looked really surprised and then looked purple. That is why he waited so long to eat real food I was always afraid he would choke.

She was lucky, sounds like she didn't get it caught too far but almost. Gabriel does that with chips and then pukes all over the place. I wait now till I start the Heimlich prep to see if he pukes.

Thank God for a healthy gag reflex.

Wow she must be scared, does she ever want to eat a Jelly Bean again? I say move to marshmallow chicks instead.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is scary. No more jelly beans and don't give peanuts or cough drops.